miércoles, 16 de julio de 2008

That one...

Today I heard a story that made me think a lot. A lot about addictions, poverty, and redemption. I have been so upset about the stories of the kids here. I have wanted to save them all right now. I have wanted to come in with my agenda to rid Xela of the desperation that leads to child labor and lots of other difficult options. But I am seeing that some of the most effective reform comes slowly, with patience. With time. I keep coming back to the concept of time. This is probably because time seems so different here, but also because the process of knowing the kids is slow. Sometimes they are excited to see us and wave and greet us with giant grins. Other days they are low, or high on glue, or drunk. And they feel ashamed, so they barely look at us. The story I heard today gave me hope though. It was about a broken addiction, but it took over ten years. It was about a changed life, but again it took time, prayers, and God.
So things here may not happen in my time. In fact, I may not see any of the dreams I have for these kids come true.
I have been wondering about the phrase we use often, if it only saves one, it´s worth it. Well, is it? Is it really? And what if that one takes over ten years instead of one month or one year? I think that Jesus delights in finding that one. Mel read some parables a few weeks ago that all had two do with finding that one that was lost. The prodigal son, where the son returns and is greeted jubilantly by the father. The lost coin, where the woman sweeps her entire house looking for that one coin. The lost sheep, where the shepherd leaves the ninety nine in search of that one who is lost. And there is a giant party when these things are found. What if I am involved in the search? How sweet to be included in something God works so hard at, finding the ones who are lost. So, my hope is growing again, but slowly. Steadily. And I am learning that it is ok, if it takes a long time for reform. A long time for broken addictions. A long time for friendships to stick and trust to be formed. It´s ok of yesterday they were drunk and today they are happy to see me. Because I have the time to give. And I have the time to wait.

No hay comentarios: